Saturday, August 8, 2009

ParejkoParejkoParejko

Whoopdewhoop.

I found them. The original Parejkos...well, like us, descendants of them...I took a bus out of Augustowo this afternoon to Sztabin, a 20-minute ride, where I searched out Andrzej Talkowski, whose mother Melanie was a Parejko. Andrzej has a very nice house, an Audi Quattro, and a really really cool Aprilia superbike. He's a mechanic.

He & his wife unfortunately do not speak english, and his daughter Magda very little. I also met their son Maciek. But they did get the local english teacher over, originally from Belarussia, and he was a great guy and a great help. Andrzej's mother came over, as did her second cousin Stanislaus who if I have it right is Remigijus' (the guy in Wilno, Lithuania who we email) father.

Well they're all great people. I learned a lot. Melanie & Stanislaus' grandfathers Jan & Franciczek were our grandfather Julius' brothers, so Melanie, Stanislaus & I (& Ron) are all second cousins. They're both older than us, but very sweet.

Tomorrow I'm taking the bus down to Kamien, just 4 km north of Sztabin, where Melanie lives. I'll get the english teacher to join us so we can look at pictures, etc. & understand what's happening. Stanislaus should join us. Andrjez & his wife can't as they have a funeral to attend. But I will see them Monday again.

Meanwhile I did learn that Kamien is the home site of the Parejkos, at least our branch...the Russians took many away to Lithuania, Belarus, etc., but they all came from Kamien. We agreed, though, that there are other Parejkos who may or may not be related, but our branch is rooted in Kamien, a tiny village about 15 km south of Augustow.

What a wonderful day. I'm glad to have lived as long as I have to meet these people. We're already talking a reunion here next year about this time...this is just the beginning...all Parejko's welcome!

More later.

4 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!!

    Reunion what now? Not sure I can bike that far...

    I'm assuming they fed you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kamien is our home. Thanks to the work of Ken our MotherLand origin has been discovered. Best wishes to all the folks in Kamien; from a Parejko in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wszystkiego najlepszego rodzina Parejko.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments...it's been a tiring but worthwhile trip. There's no feeling to compare with sitting down to lunch with second cousins from across the world, and sharing stories. I only wish everyone of you could have been with me.

    ReplyDelete