Monday, July 27, 2009

End of Rostaje

The Rostaje folk festival closed out with a concert last night at the Filharmonia here in Cracow. First on was the Bester Quartet (http://www.besterquartet.com), a Polish group -- violin, accordion, bass, percussion. Experimental, is how I'd label them -- some version of very modern classical, jazz, new age...really excellent. If I'm reading the blurb on the promo right, they're compared to the Kronos Quartet. Don't seem to be available on Amazon. I'll see if I can get cousin Mirko to help me find them in a Polish CD store.

Top billing was Dhafer Youssef Quartet, some available at Amazon...Youssef is Tunisian, his backup is a very very good collection of percussion, bass & piano from the US, Poland & Canada...Youssef is best described I think as Sufi jazz...sings with a very unusual voice, like the muslim prayer songs, but specially effected...I sat at the hall next to a man from Holland, visiting Cracow, who is a big fan of Youssef.

The concert didn't start til 9:00, ended half-past midnight, but I thought as I left -- hearing these guys was worth the trip, alone.

Off today to Wroclaw to visit cousin Mirko. Not sure what happens after that. It may or may not involve a motorcycle, a Polish Woodstock, and/or meeting Lech Walesa...

Will try to find time/facilities to update.

Hope everyone's well; looking forward to seeing you again....

1 comment:

  1. Keep updating! I'm enjoying it through you.

    Also, pointed a few people this way. You might have some more fans, soon!

    ReplyDelete