Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Galeria Cracovia, a big new mall just outside the train station in Cracow. When Ron & I were here a couple years ago it was a construction-zone mess.

Though the photo doesn't show it, most of the day there are big big crowds. It is bright, noisy, a Polish Mall of America, and I am as uncomfortable in it as I am in the Mall of America.

It is a cathedral of consumerism. Full of the young, while the churchs are slowly being emptied of the old...

While I am not a Believer in the sense of being able to say the Creed in sincerity, I stopped by the other day at an evening service in a small church near my room, where a really lovely soprano chant was responded to by several dozen nuns at the service, all in lovely Polish. I would any day choose to spend my hours in the church rather than the Mall, and am sad that this part of Polish culture, as it appears to be, will fade away.

No comments:

Post a Comment