Sunday, July 26, 2009

Ethnographic Museum in Cracow

Here's their collection of pysanki eggs, which has been a tradition with us since we learned how at Folklore Village.

I spent quite a bit of time at the ethnographic museum. Really good. I watched a 15-minute video of several old babushkas preparing linen, from soaking it in a farm-pond (complete with geese), beating it to soften the fibers, pressing it in a special press, carding, spinning while they sing, their men putting a loom together in a room, & then weaving the linen...fascinating. They also had videos of people using various musical instruments, and doing kalenda (Christmas carols) dressed as different beasts or people. I told the clerk at the museum they should put those videos on CD, I'd buy one in a minute...

And I saw a handmade rake just like the one Uncle Jack made for mom, in the basement at Holcombe, which I still use. Lots of folk-culture & folk-art. More pics maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment