Friday, July 17, 2009

Last Day of Camp

Graduation this afternoon. This morning the students sang songs, put on skits, etc. to demonstrate their English proficiency. My group did a little skit about camp. It was very cute.

Last night the two dorms played one another in hotly contested volleyball. They were really good! Serious ball...Referee and all...Had to take it to a third set.

Afterwards, at about 9:30, I took my homeroom out for ice cream, traditional for teachers to do. The mosquitoes have definitely arrived, and we couldn't sit outside & eat our ice-cream without getting eaten up, so we just started wandering around the city. We ended up at the edge of the Wisla, where we all joined in the Macarena (picture soon of God doing the Macarena!) and a cancan chorus line...Am I having fun?

Tonight there's a bonfire here at school. I have tickets to a klezmer concert in town, and will return for most of the bonfire. After the students leave, tomorrow, there will be a big hole in our hearts. They're supposed to have respected an 11:00 curfew (in their rooms at that time) and as the camp progressed, they definitely didn't, becoming pretty rowdy sometimes til midnight or beyond, I was surprised how I could ignore the noise and drift to sleep. We had to remember that as bright & well-educated as they are, they are still young teens.

It will be quite an adjustment for me to not be enveloped in their energy, smiles, and courtesy. Like leaving Folklore Village after a festival, I'm going to face several days of culture shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment