Sunday, July 26, 2009

Lion King, retired and recumbent

One of a pair of lions in the Main Square of Cracow. I guess I kind of felt like this (only wished I could be recumbent, too) after two nights of four-hour's standing during the Rozstaje shows in the Rynek (Square.)

Last night's highlight was a rock fusion group called Zakopower (check them on uTube...) They're quite good, really...their only connection to Polish folk music being they use some of the same instruments (mountain bagpipe, fiddles, etc.) as the gorale of Zakopane.

I expected more real old-time music at the Rozstaje, from back in the mountains, but got mostly modern, electronically-enhanced, sometimes fusion groups. I think Poland is trying to look to the future...and it was fun standing in a big crowd in the Rynek, as the weather cooled, rocking to Zakopower....

No comments:

Post a Comment